There were a series of car burglaries, as well as one stolen car, on a few blocks of Scott Avenue between the evening of May 7 and the morning of May 8. The incidents are among many recent vehicle and residential burglaries on the North Shore.
The incidents, according to the Winnetka Police Department are as follows:
- Someone entered an unlocked car in a driveway in the 1100 block of Scott Avenue between 8 p.m. May 7 and 8 a.m. May 8 and took a laptop computer in a black leather bag. Loss is estimated at $1665.
- In the same time frame on the same block, someone took a radar detector, two pairs of sunglasses in cases and some change from an unlocked vehicle in a driveway. Loss is estimated at $150.
- During the same time frame in the 1300 block of Scott Avenue, someone took an iPhone, iPod and ear buds, as well as some change, from an unlocked vehicle in a driveway. Loss is estimated at $105.
- In that same block, someone took an unlocked 2009 Mercedes SUV from a driveway, which had a wallet with credit cards inside. The vehicle was later found.
- In the 1400 block of Scott Avenue around the same time, someone took a garage door opener from an unlocked vehicle in a driveway. The garage was then opened and a second, unlocked vehicle was rummaged through. Nothing was reported missing. The garage door opener was left in the garage.
- In that same block, someone rummaged through two unlocked vehicles parked in a driveway and took about $10 in coins. Two other vehicles in that block were rummaged through, as well, though nothing was reported missing.
- In the 1500 block of Scott Avenue around the same time, someone took a garage door opener and registration papers from an unlocked car in a driveway. Loss is estimated at $25.
- In that same block, two other unlocked vehicle in driveways were rummaged through but nothing was reported missing.
In similar news:Highland Park Police Hit by String of Car BurglariesLake Forest Police Searching for Suspects in String of Overnight Burglaries
Woman Charged After Northbrook Car Burglary Spree
Winnetka police issued the following release to help residents protect their property:
1. Lock BOTH your vehicle and garage.
2. ILLUMINATE your property with outside light timers and motion sensors.
3. COMMUNICATE with your neighbors and watch out for each other.
4. DO NOT leave items such as a purse, wallet, GPS or portable electronic communication devices inside of your vehicle.
5. DO NOT leave your overhead garage door open for unnecessary periods of time. This simply advertises to everyone what you store in the garage.
Report any suspicious activity/persons/vehicles to the Winnetka Police Department immediately by calling 911. Do not take suspicious sounds, vehicles or people for granted. PLEASE HELP US PROTECT YOUR PROPERTY AND APPREHEND THE OFFENDERS—DO NOT DELAY CALLING 911 TO REPORT SUSPICIOUS ACTIVITY. IT MIGHT BE TOO LATE IF YOU WAIT