Winnetka-Glencoe's Top School Stories from 2012
2012 was a year full of highs and lows for local schools.
1) Winnetka Public School Board Concerned by Allegations Against Teacher: The board ultimately decided to fire David Wartik over an Evanston police investigation into a possible incident that happened in the late 1990s at a private North Shore school., although the charges were later dropped. You can read an update on this story here.
2) Seven New Trier Swimmers Qualify for Olympic Trials: The students and alums from New Trier Township High School District 203 competed for a spot to represent the United States at the 2012 Olympic Games in London.
3) Teenage 'Paranoia': A Suburban Game of Nerf Guns and Optional Nudity: New Trier students play in an elimination game with strict (but peculiar) rules, like optional nudity.
4) New Trier High School Ranked 2nd Best in Cook County: 'Chicago Magazine' also ranked two schools in Winnetka Elementary Schools District 36 among the top 10 schools in Cook County.
5) Jan Borja, Former New Trier Principal, Dies at 65: Borja worked at New Trier High School for 40 years as a teacher, adviser, adviser chair, department chair and principal. She put together the team to create the freshman campus and served as principal there since 2001. She retired in 2011.
6) Winnetka Police Probe Inappropriate Emails, Texts Involving New Trier Students: Winnetka police are in the preliminary stages of investigating inappropriate text and emails involving New Trier High School students, according to a press release.
7) New Trier Ranked No. 13 in Listing of State's Best High Schools: Nearby Deerfield High School and Highland Park High School rang in at No. 7 and No. 12 respectively.
8) New Trier Seniors Named as National Merit Semifinalists: The students will have the opportunity to compete for scholarships worth a total of more than $32 million.
9) 6 New Trier Students Charged with Distributing Inappropriate Photos: The police investigation began last month. The male students are being charged as juveniles and police are not releasing their names.
10) New Trier Hopes for Best, Prepares for Worst at Prom: The 2012 New Trier prom returns to the Hyatt Regency downtown with an uptick in attendance, as school takes safety precautions.