Winnetka-Glencoe Patch's Top January Stories
Read about a Winnetka robbery, a local celebrity's death and Gap closing its doors - as well as a variety of other stories.
1) Police: Thieves Used Air Gun in Winnetka Robbery: Three area men were robbed at gunpoint in Winnetka on the morning of Jan. 5. Three other suburban men have been arrested for the crime.
2) Internet Pioneer Aaron Swartz, 26, Commits Suicide: The Highland Park native and North Shore Country Day alum helped create the RSS feed when he was 14. He was facing federal charges at the time of his death.
3) Barry Lind, Monetary Markets Pioneer, Dies: Lind, of Winnetka, founded one of the nation’s largest discount futures brokerages. He was hit by a car in California Wednesday.
4) Independent Village President Candidate Receives Threatening Note: Christopher Rintz, who’s running against the Caucus-slated Gene Greable, received an anonymous note promising to spread embarrassing information against him if he decides to run for village president in Winnetka.
5) Update: Winnetka Gap is Closing Its Doors: Gap location on Green Bay Rd in Winnetka closed its doors at the end of January.
6) Jewelry Worth 'Hundreds of Thousands of Dollars' Taken During Northfield Burglary Northfield police warn residents of ruse burglaries, such as one that led to a Northfield burglary on Dec. 30, the 'Winnetka Talk' reports.
7) Chris Rintz Responds to Anonymous Attack: In this letter to the editor, independent village president candidate Chris Rintz responds to an anonymous threatening note that he recently received on his doorstep.
8) Fired Winnetka School Teacher Gets $71,000 in Settlement: David Wartik, a former fourth grade teacher at Hubbard Woods Elementary School, has received $71,000 in a settlement with Winnetka School District 36.
9) New Upscale Resale Shop Opening in Glencoe: The North Shore Exchange will offer designer women’s clothing and accessories, as well as home furnishings and décor.
10) $4.2M Glencoe Home Features 25 Rooms, Terraces: The Glencoe home features 10,000 square feet of elegance and luxury.